These are exemplary industry leaders. These providers have a positive impact on the environment, local communities and their clients. They invest both time and money to maintain sustainable tourism practices.
Spice Village, Thekkady
Periyar Tiger Reserve
- Wildlife safaris, forest treks, birding trips, village walks, cultural performances by native communities, bonfires, visits to the interpretation centre and trips to the lodge’s manmade forests are some of the activities organised here. You can also get a chance to imbibe some culinary skills from the local tribal community. Spice Village’s chefs conduct masterclasses every evening to share secrets from Malayali kitchens and give guests a whiff of the region’s enticing spices. Basketball, badminton, tennis and other games are organised in the spice garden retreat if you are looking to up your physical activity game. The lodge’s Ayurveda centre offers a range of herbal massages and therapies. You can also spend time learning about the region’s flora and fauna at the local interpretation centre – tiger club. Cool off in the lodge’s swimming pool and take a plunge under the trees!
- The lodge has 52 spacious cottages for accommodation modelled on the sustainable dwellings of the native Manan tribe. The deluxe category cottages come with a private garden and large sit-out areas. The rooms are furnished using wooden crates sourced from the nearest seaport. Traditional craftsmen were employed to use elephant grass to thatch roofs for the cottages that keep the rooms cool even without air conditioning. Each of these accommodation units exude elegance based on simple, natural materials and local woodcraft.
- The lodge has two restaurants and a bar offering scrumptious meals using fresh produce sourced from the lodge’s organic kitchen gardens. The atmospheric Woodhouse Bar - named after the lodge’s earlier resident and forest ranger A.W. Woods - has a 150-year-old billiards table and a resident trainer who will teach you all the tricks of the game. Spice Village’s 50 Mile restaurant offers a traditional kitchen preparing dishes made of ingredients all sourced within a 50-mile radius of the resort. The Tamarind Restaurant offers both global and local cuisines, and an amazing buffet spread. Freshly-brewed herbal tea blends with spice-tinged concoctions is another feature at Spice Village.
- Open all through the year
- Nearest airports: Madurai (145 km), Kochi (190 km)
Nearest Railhead: Kottayam (107 km)
- In-house lodge naturalist
- Credit cards accepted
- Swimming pool
- Wheelchair access
- Wifi access
The Periyar Tiger Reserve in ‘God’s Own Country’ of Kerala is a spectacular expanse of greenery and seemingly unending chain of hills in the southern region of the Western Ghats, with some of the best wildlife activities for keen wildlife visitors to enjoy. The reserve along the river Periyar, which originates in the heart of these forests, spreads over an area of 925 sq km amidst Thekkady’s spice-scented Cardamom Hills. More than 60 species of mammals are found here; including the Asiat Read more>>
Other PUG Lodges In This Park
Cardamom County is a natural retreat tucked away in Periyar’s cloud-hugging Cardamom Hills on the...
Other Parks To Combine
Valparai is a mid-elevation hill station in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu, India. Located...
You can lose yourself in the lush green forests of the Nilgiris and return to experience it...
Nagarhole is a combination of two Kannada terms, 'Nagara' meaning 'Cobra' and 'Hole' meaning...
Coorg, also known by its local name Kodagu, is a district of Karnataka. The region spans about...
Famous for its significant tiger and elephant population and protected sandalwood trees, Bandipur...
Travel Here with the Best Travel Companies & Agents
Natural Habitat Adventures has been a leader in responsible adventure travel & ecotourism since...
Wilderness Travel offers extraordinary cultural, wildlife and hiking adventures spanning every...
Next Adventure was founded in 1996 by Richard and Louise McGowan, to exclusively provide customised...
Wildland Adventures is rated by National Geographic Adventure as the #1 Best \"Do-It-All\"...